We at the Captain’s Galley believe that in order to work towards a harmonious accord between people, technology and nature, all our activities must take the environment into consideration: we believe we can make a useful contribution by becoming a leading ‘eco-friendly’ operation. Striving to achieve harmony with ecology and the environment.
Albeit a very small operation in global terms we acknowledge the impact of our activities on the environment. Our aim is to minimise that impact as far as practicable, at local, regional and even global levels. To conserve natural resources and prevent environmental pollution by adopting sound principals and best practice according to the principals of sustainable development.
The Captain’s Galley will comply fully with environmental legislation and officially approved codes of practice, and will make continued efforts:
- To promote sound environmental management policies throughout the restaurant.
- To increase awareness of environmental responsibilities amongst staff.
- To work with other agencies locally, and nationally to promote appropriate environment policies.
- To minimise waste and pollution, and to develop and operate effective waste management and recycling procedures.
- Use recycled and recyclable material where appropriate: choosing products and suppliers which minimise negative environmental impact, thereby promoting sustainable development.
- All glass, paper cardboard are recycled, we do not stock and cans because of their impact on the environment.
- All used coffee grounds, paper vegetables waste, is composted.
- Environmentally friendly cleaning products used wherever possible.
- Protect natural habitats and local wildlife and preserve biological diversity.
- Reduce consumption of fossil fuels through improvements to energy efficiency and substitute with renewable energy resources.
- Reduce water consumption Promote a purchasing policy which will give preference as far as practicable, to those products and services, which cause least harm to the environment.
- Avoid use, wherever possible of environmentally damaging substances, materials and processes.
- Encourage modes of transport by staff and deliveries by suppliers which minimise the environmental impact.
- Encourage the purchase of ‘Fair-Trade’ products wherever practicable Never knowingly use genetically modified foods.
- We ask our customers to be careful what is disposed of in the toilets (personal hygiene bags are provided)
- Our policy is (wherever practicable) repair before renew.
We encourage considering the implications for the environment and impact upon it when purchasing decisions regarding substances, materials, equipment and maintenance and building contracts. Consideration should be made consistent with all aspects of the Captain’s Galley environmental Policy. In particular consideration is given to:
- Energy usage- including mains water and drainage water.
- Waste minimisation and process efficiency.
- Re-use and recycling opportunities.
- Waste disposal implications.
- Avoidance of ozone depleting substances.
- Control of discharges to air land and water.
- Noise levels generated from plant and machinery.
- Eco-toxicity of materials released to land, air and water.
- Requesting a copy of suppliers ‘Environmental Policy’.
- Obtaining an environmental impact report on any chemical substance.
- Commercial and non-Hazardous wastes. All waste will go in the appropriate bins, which are colour coded and all clearly marked with the substances which go in each one.
- Hazardous waste is dealt with in co-operation with the ‘Scrabster Harbour Hazardous waste Disposal policy’ e.g. there is a special area for the eco-friendly disposal of all used oils.